Thursday, August 25, 2011

Now that's Italian!

I've always liked Italian cuisine especially pasta. So it was quite a wrench to make the decision to go gluten free 10 years ago. At home I could always make myself the various gluten free pastas that were available some better than others none as good as the real stuff however. But to eat out at favorite restaurants was a nightmare. No one served gluten free. Still I was determined to stay gluten free for my health. Then one day Laurie asked me to take her to her favorite Italian place called Paesanos. I looked at the menu and wept. All these great dishes with pasta. I settled for a salad. It was actually very good and I enjoyed a nice glass of wine with it. So it wasn't all bad. So when the next craving for something Italian came up I mentioned let's go to Paesanos again. This time the waitperson asked why just a salad. I explained my situation to her and she said she would talk to the owner about my problem. A few minutes later the owner came to our table and I explained that I'm gluten free. He wanted to know more about it and I told him in some detail. He asked if there were any alternatives to gluten pasta and I told him what was available. He asked where one could find these products. I told him most grocery stores in the area had a selection of them. He told me to choose any of the pasta dishes I would like for dinner and that he would personally go to the nearest grocery store to get some gluten free pasta. I was shocked! So I ordered one.
Well we had soup and salad and Laurie's dinner came and I told her go ahead don't bother to wait for me. It wasn't long after that when the owner comes to our table with an apron on and my gluten free pasta dish in his hands. He told me he went to the store and bought Quinoa  pasta, cooked it himself and now wanted me to enjoy and to let him know what I thought of it. Let me tell you -it was wonderful. He told me that he would continue to carry the gluten free pasta so that I and others like me would be able to enjoy their great pasta dishes and not be limited to just salads. Now that's what I call great service. Paesanos has been and still is my favorite place to eat out. Laurie and I would go there for our New Year's eve dinners also. And they now carry gluten free bread that they bake at the restaurant and gluten free Tiramisu for dessert! Now that's Italian!
PS  Rice is the best grain for gluten free pasta I've found.
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment