Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Shaving with a Feather

I'm a wet shaver. I use a brush, soap in a mug or cream and a double edge razor.  Always have since I was about 14 . Of course then I only needed to shave about once a week. There was a time in the 70's and 80's when I used a cartridge but still I was wet shaving. Never used electric probably never will. You see when I was working I shaved every day. It is a very mundane task and no man looks forward to it. So a little while ago I decided to make it fun and interesting. I went online and read shaving forums all about the gentlemanly art of face shaving. They got into all the fine details of the different aspects of wet shaving. The different soaps, creams, razors, blades, brushes, aftershaves and on and on. You wouldn't believe all the stuff there is in the wet shaving world. But this made shaving more interesting now! I looked forward to shaving every morning with this new ideal. Still do though I don't always shave every day now.
One day I was reading about razor blades . You wouldn't believe the variety of blades there are in the world today. The forum was talking about the worlds sharpest razor blade. The opinion of the forum was that it had to be the blade made by the Japanese company called Feather. They are a surgical instrument maker. These blades are extremely sharp to the Nth degree so much so that the forum advised against using them unless one had sufficient shaving experience. No noobies. Unless you wanted raw hamburger for a face . They are that sharp! I was intrigued. They also kept their edge much longer than regular blades too so they were economical. Where to buy. Well it turns out that Maison Edwards in Ann Arbor carries them so I bought a pack.  I was all excited to try them out the next morning and told Laurie about them. She was horrified! "Don't use them" she begged me "you'll cut yourself " the look on her face was one of terror. I said not to worry because I had been shaving for 40 years with a double edge razor and I knew what I was doing. Inwardly I still had some fear but I was not to be daunted.
So the next morning I lather up put  a Feather blade in my new Merkur razor and away I go . Wow! These are sharp! But no problems. Shaved like a dream.  I told Laurie about my wonderful experience and she was still horrified and told me to be careful. Well the first 2 shaves -no problems. The next 2 I cut myself. Nothing major. You cut yourself from time to time with regular blades too. I adjusted my technique slightly and then shave 15 more times with the same blade with no problems. Great shaves one and all. Amazing! Normally I get 6 or 7 shaves from a blade so this was a real breakthrough in economy.
The pictures show three razors I use. The shiny silver one is the German made Mekrur . The black razor is my fathers razor issued him in the Army from WW2. The brass razor is my grandfathers from about 1915 it uses single edge blades similar to the kind you use in a utility knife. And of course a Feather blade.



Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment