Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Step in Time

When I was 14 years old our family was on vacation along the shores of Lake Superior. We used to walk for miles up and down the beach looking for rocks and fossils. My dad tumbled the rocks to make jewelry out of them. We collected fossils for science projects in school. This one time I remember seeing a rock in the sand that looked like a foot. It had two kinds of stone mixed together. A kind of quartz and a dark black material. I turned it over and lo and behold there was a real footprint embedded in it. I couldn't believe it! Everybody was amazed and said I should take it to the science department at Cranbrook Institute.
Eventually I took it there and they studied it for a few weeks. They told me it was made out of basalt and quartzite if I remember correctly. As far as the footprint they said it was impossible to be human because the rock was 250 million years old. No humans around then. So I forgot about it and got on with my teenage life. My sister Mary even used it for a science project at school once. The years passed and as I became an adult I found myself moving quite a bit. When I got to be in my 40's I wanted to see it again to show some people. I couldn't find it! Desperate I looked all over to no avail. I thought I had lost it in one of my moves.
Years later it came to me. One of my moves resulted in my storing things at my parents place in Clare, Mi. I searched and searched and was rewarded with the discovery of the rock in a box in the back shed! Fantastic! I had it again. I even took it to the University of Michigan's geology dept. and got the same reply as before. No humans around 250 million years ago. Or were there?
Check the picture out for yourself. You be the judge. It's a footprint isn't it. Let me know in the comments below what you think.
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment