Saturday, July 16, 2011

Top of the Park

Top of the Park, or TOP as it's known locally, is a summer institution in Ann Arbor, Mi. It's been going strong for almost 30 years now. It consists of local, regional and national musical acts performing outdoors.  Originally located on top of the parking structure at the Dental school at the University of Michigan. A few years ago because of renovations at the structure it was moved across the street to the Engalls  Mall where it continues today. Most people seem to like the move to the new location. I'm one that does not. The original location I think was perfect for listening to live music. The lot formed a perfect amphitheater effect. The seats at the back were higher than the front. Food vendors surrounded the venue so one could eat, drink and be merry.  The new location seating is flat but has much more space to lie on the grassy areas and I think that's what most people like. To each his own I guess. Better dancing now too. You know maybe I like the new location better now to come to think of it.
Anyway it runs most evenings for about 3 weeks late June early July and I caught the last show this past Sunday. George Bedard and the Kingpins, a local favorite and the the international act Igor and the Red Elvises performed to probably a few thousand people.
I originally started coming when I moved to Ann Arbor 18 years ago. I would never miss a night . I loved listening to live music performed outdoors in the warm summer evenings. The weather wasn't always nice and I can remember bringing an umbrella to a few shows. One show in particular stands out in that regard. It was George and his Kingpins again on a Sunday afternoon. They went onstage and after a few numbers it started to rain. At first soft then harder and harder. I of course had my trusty umbrella and stayed put in my seat.  George and Rich the drummer took off for shelter. Randy the bass player stayed on stage and continued to play seemingly oblivious to the rain. In fact he seemed to be enjoying himself quite a lot! Randy- a real trooper soaking wet and hoping everything was grounded correctly.
It was these guys backing Tracy Lee one year that was the inspiration for me to want to form my own band. Without that inspiration I wouldn't have asked Laurie to play keyboards in my band and therefore might not have enjoyed the start of a most wonderful relationship. Thank you guys!
The pictures show The Red Elvises and George and the boys performing. The dancers are belly dancing for one of the Red Elvises songs. Seriously you should check both these groups out. You know Youtube and websites and such. Buy some of their music. And if you don't like their music buy some t-shirts or baseball caps. No affiliation of course. Oh the young woman with the spheres is contact juggling. I thought you should know. Her name is Jade and she is quite good.









Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment